dynamic group membership interface foo

May 4, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Hi,

We are using Dynamic Group membership to assign interfaces to a Sub-Group under the "fully monitored interface group" which is part of the MP.

We only want interfaces that are UP at the time of discovery to be in the group, however what we're finding is that every discovered interface starts as being 'UP' as the default condition.  In the past I remember Kris mentioning something as to why this was the case, but it escapes me.  I haven't looked into the PS code yet, but I'm guessing that it's just walking the MIB, and discovering the interface objects, and not looking at any status until it actually finishing the discovery. 

The result of this behavior is that the interface goes from un-monitored, to UP, then to down, but ends up getting into the group since the dynamic group rule gets run after the discovery.  One would suppose that once the collection of data from the device begins, that the group membership would then get modified accordingly, but that doesn't appear to be the case.  Is there a way to force a dynamic group policy to be applied outside of the discovery process?

Thanks in advance for any comments, or feedback.  I'm still searching, and will update this with any findings or other information.

-Chris